The course offers basic first aid and safety skills for youth aged 9-13 years. Participants learn about being safe when they are without the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or trusted adult. Whether in their community or on their own, participants will be given better tools to Stay Safe! in a variety of different situations.
5-hour virtual classroom session
Certified Canadian Red Cross Youth Leader
Minimum 9 years of age (or completion of Grade 3). The recommended age range is 9-13 years.
This course is delivered in a virtual classroom (using Zoom). For virtual classes, the following is required:
An adult must be on-site with the learner. They do not need to be present on-screen but must be available in the space to help if needed.
Learners must have their video and audio on for the duration of the session so the instructor can see if they leave the room or are distracted.
Participants will need access to a computer or tablet with reliable internet access, webcam, speakers, and a microphone. We use the Zoom platform for our virtual classes.
We will email you a link to access the class a few days before the start date. You do not need to register for a Zoom account to participate in the class.
- Importance of responsibility and respect while being accountable for yourself.
- Importance of setting and following rules around safety when staying on your own.
- How to stay safe at home and within the community.
- How to prepare, recognize and respond to unexpected situations, (e.g. strangers, unanticipated visits).
- First Aid Content: Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911), recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/alone), feeling unwell, asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, insect stings, wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns)
- We will mail a copy of the Red Cross Stay Safe! workbook to participants before the class. Participants can also access the ebook if required.
- After the class, participants will receive a completion certificate from the Canadian Red Cross.
- 100% attendance
- Skills demonstration
Safe + Sound Terms & Conditions
You can find information about transfers and cancellations here:
Stay Safe! Virtual Course Private Group Training
To schedule private training for groups of 8-15 children click here: Private Group Training.