This course provides skills and knowledge to help people better manage potential or developing mental health problems in themselves, a family member, a friend or a colleague.
Mental Health First Aid - Standard (Virtual) is an 8.5 hour course split into three modules:
Module 1 (2 hours) - Self Directed
- Introduction to the course
- Introduction to MHFA actions
Module 2 (3 hours and 15 minutes) - Virtual Classroom
- Practice applying MHFA actions to situations of declining mental well-being.
- Guidelines for MHFA conversations with people from diverse cultures and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
Module 3 (3 hours and 15 minutes) Virtual Classroom
- Discussion on using MHFA actions for self care.
- Practice using MHFA actions in crisis situations.
Method of Instruction
The course opens with a self-directed module (module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3).
Course participants are required to complete Module 1 before participating in Module 2 and 3. Module 1 certificates must be emailed to the course instructor 24 hours before the start of Module 2.
Upon registration participants will receive the MHFA Participant Reference Guide that outlines the MHFA actions for developing mental health and substance use problems, and mental health and substance use crises.
8.5 hours total including two hours of self-directed learning followed, two weeks later by two virtual modules (three hours and 15 minutes each), ideally delivered on consecutive days.
Minimum 8 participants, Maximum 15
$2500.00+GST flat fee for up to 10 participants. The fee for additional participants is $250.00+GST per person.
Certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor
Minimum age 18 years.
The course addresses four of the most common and most stigmatized mental health disorders and includes signs/symptoms, risk factors, and crisis first aid for specific situations:
- Substance-Related Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Overdose
- Mood-Related Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Suicidal Behaviour
- Anxiety and Trauma-related Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Panic Attack
- Crisis First Aid for Acute Stress Reaction
- Psychotic Disorders
- Crisis First Aid for Psychotic Episode
MHFA does not teach participants to become therapists or counsellors. Rather, it provides the skills, knowledge, and attitudes that allow someone to offer effective first aid intervention.
- MHFA Participant Reference Guide
- Participation certificate.
Why provide Mental Health First Aid training to your employees?
- Improve employee morale and retention
- Reduce absenteeism
- Reduce medical and disability costs
- Reduce the stigma around mental health issues
- Show your employees that you care about them
To save money and have a happier, more productive workforce, get your employees trained in Mental Health First Aid.
Mental Health First Aid Virtual Training for Private Groups
Private group training is easy to organize. Book your class dates with us, provide a group of people and we'll take care of everything else.
Click below to request information and a quote or to schedule a class for your team.